20g fresh yeast
4 tbsp water
40 g sugar
250g low protein flour
1 egg replacer (10g)
125g butter (melted)
2 tbsp rum
oil (for baking)
120g apricot jam
1tbsp starch or low protein flour for shaping, kneading the dough
- Mix the yeast with the water and the sugar. Stir and set aside for 20 min. to activate.
- Place the low protein flour in a bowl, add the remaining ingredients ( the yeast mix too) and mix them for 10 min. with a mixer or spatula.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface, knead it a few more times and devide it into 12. Roll them into balls and place the balls on a sheet dusted with flour. Let them rest for 30 min.
- Before dropping the doughnut balls into the hot oil use your thumb to press a hole onto the surface of each ball as the place for the jam.
- Drop them carefully into the hot oil then flip them over and fry both sides.
- Place them on a paper towel so that the oil soaks off, fill the holes with jam and sprinkle caster sugar on top.
Baking time: 5-8 min.
Do not be afraid of using rum as an ingredient.
- It prevents the dough to absorb too much oil
- Alcohol evaporates during the baking process so the baked doughnuts are safe for children to eat ;)